- Come and explore the beauty of the Great Southern
- The freshest air and the best climate
- Bountiful natural attractions with tall timber forests
- Wild ocean and endless beaches
- Safe swimming at Greens Pool
- Trails capital of Western Australia
- Munda Biddi and Bibbulmun Trails converge here
- Swimming, walking, snorkelling, rock climbing
- Bushwalking, bike adventures, touring and wineries
- Travellers' Rest is a home from home
- Quiet rooms with boutique amenities
- Full kitchen and laundry facilities
- Great fun to be had at low cost
- Right next to all town attractions
- Located in the historic precinct of Denmark
- Adjacent Museum showcases fascinating history
- Festival of the Voice June long weekend
- Arts Trails and classes
- Yoga for health and fitness
- Indulge yourself with a spa treatment
- Bird life to appreciate including rare migratory species
- Enjoy a day on the waterways of the River and Wilson Inlet
- Fresh produce from local farms always available
Surfing at Ocean Beach
The beaches around Denmark are a great place to go surfing with dolphins. These delightful creatures love playing in the waves just like you do. You don't have to be too lucky to suddenly find one of these delightful mammals surfing on the same wave as you. They trawl along the beaches and join in with any surfers they can find.
Ocean Beach at Denmark has been nominated as one of the top five beaches in Australia to Learn To Surf. 'There's more to surfing in WA than Margaret River's big waves. Denmark, 420 kilometres south-east of Perth, is ideal learn-to-surf territory. Still largely undiscovered, it's less crowded than the west coast and doesn't get the Fremantle Doctor, the stiff sea breeze that kicks in every afternoon on the more exposed west coast. Ocean Beach is perfect for learning: it gets long, rolling waves and there's a rip that can carry you safely out to the breaking waves.'
Mike Neunuebel of South Coast Surfing is our local surf instructor.
As an accredited instructor giving lessons in surfing and ocean awareness he is the best in Western Australia. In the winter Mike also teaches surfing at Exmouth in the North of the state. Ocean Beach in Denmark offers some of the most ideal conditions to learn to surf in Australia. Within the relatively sheltered bay, small to medium surf offers students the waves they need when they are learning.
An extensive array of other beaches along the South Coast offers challenges to the more experienced. Mikes long experience in teaching surfing and his animated, larrikin style makes the lessons fun, and you will learn very quickly.Ocean awareness and safety are an integral part of the teaching. Boards and wetsuits are also available for hire.
South Coast Surfing
0401 349 854